Haswell - a colliery village.

Haswell Colliery was opened on 2nd July 1835 and eventually closed on 31st December 1896

Haswell Colliery 1864.

Haswell Colliery, May 20th 1864
photographed by Jose Watson, Newcastle upon Tyne,
© Easington District Council, 'People, Past and Present' archive.




In 1811, one of the first sinkings to prove the existence of a coalfield underneath the overlying Magnesian Limestone was that at Haswell, carried out by Dr. William Smith. Little more was done for the next twenty-five years or so until on the 28th February 1831 when work began on the Engine Pit. However, after digging down through 54 feet of sand the pit was lost.

                       Haswell Colliery miners.

Haswell Colliery miners
© Easington District Council, 'People, Past and Present' archive.